The Microsoft Outlook is a very popular email client that is used by Mac and Windows both. But both the email clients use a different file format to store mailbox data. That is why users switching from Mac to Windows machines face the need to convert their mailbox data into Outlook compatible PST format. This OLM to PST Converter is the ideal tool import OLM file to Windows Outlook.
OLM file extension is a unique file format which saves emails, inbox, calendars, contacts and attachments on Outlook for Mac. The purpose and usage of the OLM file is same as for the PST file on Windows. But OLM files cannot be opened through Outlook for Windows. As Windows Outlook supports PST file format. And it must be difficult for you to access your mailbox data if you are switching from Mac to Windows operating system. To open all your mailbox items including notes and calendars you need to convert OLM to PST format first and then import the files to Windows Outlook.
One of the major drawbacks of Outlook for Mac is that it has highly advanced algorithm. So a user must have some technical knowladge to use Mac Outlook. And when it comes to features then MS Outlook for Windows have more features than MS Outlook for Mac.
Let us find out what methods are available to users who wish to import OLM file into PST.
How to Import OLM File to Windows Outlook?
There are two ways to go about performing data migration from OLM to Outlook PST file format: Manual way to convert OLM to PST format and Using third-party OLM to PST Converter Tool. Both have their pros and cons and what you want to choose depends entirely upon your call. Here we will discuss both the methods – the manual method to import OLM file into Outlook, and a more efficient automated method to do the same.
Manual Way to Import OLM File to Windows Outlook
Before doing anything you must need to take the backup of your OLM files. So that if your data lost due to any reason, you have your backup files. And then follow the below steps:
Step 1. Create and Enabled IMAP account
If you want to import OLM files into PST format then you have to create an IMAP account. When you set up an IMAP account, you can access your mailbox item on different platforms.
- On your computer, open Gmail and click Settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the “IMAP access” section, select Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes.
Step 2. Setup and Synchronised Outlook Mac to IMAP Account
- Open Outlook for Mac in your system and select Tools >> Accounts
- Click on the “+” button on left side of the Account Window pane to add a new account
- Choose the email address pane and enter your email address, password, and user name for G-mail account
- Enter “imap.gmail.com” as an Incoming Server and choose “Use SSL connect”
- Enter “smtp.gmail.com” as the Outgoing Server
- Check both options below the Outgoing Server and enter the Outgoing port as 465 and then click on Add account
- On the left side of the pane, a yellow button turns green if the password keyed-in is correct and the connection is made.
Step 3. Migrate Outlook email to Gmail Account
- To migrate the mailbox folder, right-click on it and click Copy.
- Choose the destination folder in Gmail where you want to move that file.
- You can refresh your Gmail account once uploading process is done.
Step 4. Configure Gmail Account with Windows Outlook
- Open Outlook for Mac and go to File >> Info >> Account Settings
- Then, click on the New icon from the open window
- Select Additional server type option
- Check Internet E-mail option and provide the email details
- Here, you need to select IMAP as an account type
- Now, enter imap.gmail.com as an Incoming server and smtp.gmail.com as an Outgoing server
- Click on the More Settings option and select my Outgoing server requires authentication option in the Outgoing Server tab
- Now, enter Incoming Server Port as 993 in the Advanced tab
- Now, choose SSL as an encryption type
- In the Outgoing Server Port, enter 465 as a port number and click OK
- Then, choose Test Account Settings and click Finish
Step 5. Transfer files from Gmail mailbox to Windows Outlook mailbox
As you configured Gmail account with Windows Outlook, you can easily drag and drop all data from Gmail mailbox to Outlook mailbox as per your need. Now you know that this is how you can import OLM files into Windows Outlook manually.
Disadvantages of Manual Process
- First of all the process is very complex and too lengthy.
- It needs lots of configuration means time consuming.
- Higher chances of data loss.
- Required technical knowledge.
- It cannot recover corrupt files.
To make your task easier to import OLM files to Windows Outlook, you need the OLM to PST Converter. This method offers safe and risk-free conversion of OLM data to PST format. Therefore, if you ever need to export your OLM data into PST format avoid wasting time and quickly download Systools Converter for OLM. OLM to PST converts the .olm file to the .pst file with all the meta properties intact.
Fastest Way to Import OLM File to Windows Outlook
Step 1. Download and Install the OLM to PST Converter tool
Step 2. Select the OLM file by clicking on Add File >> Browse
Step 3. Click Export button after previewing the files
Step 4. Select PST option and provide destination path to the file
Step 5. Now click on Export button to start the process.
Now the files are converted into PST format and we can import these files into Windows Outlook.
Step 1. Open MS Outlook for Windows in your computer
Step 2. Go to File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export
Step 3. Select Import file from another program or file option
Step 4. Click on Outlook data file (.pst). Click Next option
Step 5. Browse the PST file and click on OK and then Finish button